About Indira Urrutia
Indira Urrutia is a Chilean born immigrant who moved to New Haven, Connecticut in 1986 with her family. Urrutia received her B.S. in Studio Art with a focus on photography from Southern Connecticut State University in 1994. Since then, she has followed her passion for photography and explored other formats such as mixed media, installation art, experimental video, and most recently, metal weaving. Her passion for teaching allows her to transmit the importance of free artistic expression in a safe environment and guide the students in experimenting with their own creativity.
Co founder/ Executive Director Mi Cultura Art Project, San Francisco, CA 2014 – Present
• Oversaw entire organization.
– Developed curriculum and taught K-8.
– Worked with students from a variety of racial and socioeconomic backgrounds.
– Curate exhibits with students’ art work.
Creative Director The Red Poppy Art House, San Francisco, CA 2013-2014
• Oversaw entire organization.
– Curator for visual art program, performing program and family art program.
– Recruited staff, interns and volunteers.
– Implemented our weekly staff conversational meetings.
• Developed long-lasting community engagement model with residents, organizations and schools.
• Centro de Bellas Artes, San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico 2009
Activities Coordinator for Dia de Los Muertos, San Francisco Symphony, San Francisco CA 2014 to Present
• Overseen the art activities the day of the event.
• Cordinate and créate activies for the event
• Work with a wide range of volunnteers
Mi Cultura Art Project, San Francisco CA. 2013 – Present
Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive, (BAMPFA). Berkeley, CA. 2017 – Present
The de Young Museum, San Francisco CA. 2013 – 2016
San Francisco Youth Theater, San Francisco, CA. 2015 – Present
The Marsh Youth Theater, San Francisco, CA. 2006 -2008 and 2013 – 2015
Imagine Bus Art Project, San Francisco, CA. Summer 2007
Comprehensive Art Program, New Haven, CT, 1998 – 2002
The Neighborhood Place, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT 2000 – 2002
2Greenprints project, an itinerant photographic project which moves on bicycles across the American Continent (From Alaska to the Chilean Antarctic) in search of natural, social and cultural values that characterize the countries of the American Continent. A project promoting solidarity, equity, participation and respect among cultures by linking what we learned from human behaviors, beliefs and traditions with environmental and human right issues. (co-founder).
- Open Show San Francisco Green Film Festival, San Francisco CA 2016
- GRA, Equipament Juvenil Granollers, Barcelona Spain 2016
- Santa Clara University, San Jose, CA 2014
- Cesar Chavez Elementary School, La Misión, San Francisco, CA 2013
- Thomas Downey High School, Modesto, CA 2012
- Intercycles Cannondale Chile, Chile 2012
- •Museo Martín Gusinde, Puerto Williams,, Chile 2012
- Liceo Donald Mc. Intyre Griggitths (x6), Puerto Williams, Chile 2012
- Darien Hight School, Darien, Connecticut 2012
- Christopher Columbus Elementary School, New Haven, Connecticut 2012
- Faculty of Physical Science and Mathematics, Universidad de Chile, Chile 2011
- Art and Sicial Sience University ARCIS, Santiago, Chile 2011
- Pablo Neruda Fundación, Isla Negra, Chile 2011
- Casa de la Cultura, Nogales, Chile 2011
- National Park Eduardo Avaroa, Bolivia 2010
- Universidad Alas Peruanas, Andahuaylas, Peru 2010
- National University Jose Maria Arguedas, Andahuaylas, Peru 2010
- Universidad de Bracamoros, Jaen, Peru 2010
- Universidad Amazonica, Puyo, Ecuador 2010
- Penitentiary and Prison from Armenia INPEC, Armenia, Colombia 2010
- SENA Forest Engineering, San Jose del Guaviare, Colombia 2010
- El Café de los Artistas, Granada, Nicaragua 2009
- Cultural Center “Los Tres Mundos”, Granada, Nicaragua 2009
Visual Art Exhibitions
Solo Mujeres, Mission Cultural center for Latino Art, San Francisco CA 2017,
San Francisco Symphony “Dia de Muertos” interactive Altar 2014, 2015 ,2016
We are all Refugees, Community Media Center of Marin, San Rafael, CA 2016
– Stable café, San Francisco CA 2016
Solo Mujeres, Mission Cultural center for Latino Art, San Francisco CA 2015,
Co- curate Solo Mujeres, Mission Cultural center for Latino Art, San Francisco CA 2014
The Gaze From the Bicycle /La Mirada Desde la Bicicleta
– GRA, Equipament Juvenil Granollers, Barcelona, Spain 2016
– Richmond Art Center, Richmond, CA 2013
– Mission Cultural Center, San Francisco, CA 2013
– Casa Museo Pablo Neruda, Isla Negra, Chile 2011
– Casa de la Cultura de Nogales, Chile 2011
– Universidad ARCIS, Santiago, Chile 2011
Trash Memories, Red Poppy Art House, San Francisco, CA 2012
Untitle, solo show Gallery 25, San Francisco, CA 2007
Luna Negra, Mission Cultural Center, San Francisco, CA 2007
911 Squared Collective, Melting Point Gallery, San Francisco, CA 2006
Illusion 5, The de Young Museum, San Francisco, CA 2006
Solo Show, Tracy Gallery, San Francisco, CA 2006
Group Show, The Red Poppy Art House, San Francisco, CA 2004
Latino Artist FELLWOSHIP at Root Division 2016-2017
Teaching Training, Teaching Art Institute, California College of Art, Oakland, CA 2007
Community Education Program, Film and Print Making, San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco, CA 2004
Bachelors of Science in Studio Art, Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT 1999